Monday, November 4, 2013

Day Three

The first day of school here. I woke up a good half hour before Manny or Rosa, and was downstairs and ready way before it was necessary. This school is on more than one block. It's intimidating. We ran around like  headless chicken for a bit, trying to find the networking adviser for Germantown, and got the schedule thing sorted out. And for the rest of the day I just went to classrooms, only asking for directions once, might I add, and repeated the same thing over and over. "My name is Emma Baker. I'm from Toledo, Ohio. I'm visiting here for a month. I'm staying with Rosa." And then I smile/laugh/nod while they tell me about how one time they went to Columbus, or they've driven through Ohio, or they make jokes about corn. But, hey. They have more carbohydrates than Maumee Valley, so no matter what, I'll come back fat and happy.
Things I learned today

  • How to say hospital in sign language
  • That the lunch ladies at this school are apparently more friendly than most students
  • Also they have cool fingerprint scanners
  • English Civil War
  • It's possible to forget everything you've ever learned in Biology between freshman and junior year
  • You can eat a bagel and some fries and still be hungry at 5:45
  • It's cold and dark in Philadelphia
Things I didn't learn today

  • How to socialize. But I'll work on that.  

1 comment: